Monday, December 9, 2013

Light in the Darkness

 
Flickering candles guide our journey
through a sometimes shadowy season of Advent.

"The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom should I fear?" (Ps 27:1).

The darkness lurks, and yet flees the approaching Light.

"The true light, which enlightens everyone,
was coming into the world."
(Jn 1:9)
 
Like a spark from a flint, an uncreated burst of Energy enters time-- 
 a spark destined to be extinguished and then rise as a flaming furnace of Mercy.

"A light for revelation to the Gentiles, and glory for your people Israel" (Lk 3:11b).

This quiet conflagration of Divine Love spreads across a weary, war-torn earth,
transforming even the worldliness of my oft-hardened heart.

"He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire" (Mt 3:11b).

The flickering flame within draws me toward glimmers of eternity in others;
together our wavering lights burn like torches,
giving witness to that great Pillar of Fire which we follow.

"In your light we see light" (Ps 36:10).

Christ, who is the Light, carefully burns away the daily dross,
dispels the darkness, and fans the embers of my sometimes smoldering heart.

"I've come to set the earth on fire, and how I wish it were already blazing!" (Lk 12:49).

The Immaculata helps pour our molten hearts into the form of her Son's,
in hopes that we'll be ready and able to greet him upon his return.

"The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it" (Jn 1:5).

A lone lighted candle reminds us of the Mystery among us.