Monday, November 28, 2016

Hearing the Gospel Anew this Advent

We all have a mission in life. But how many people do you know who live their lives on a mission?

Many people pray that the Lord will reveal to them their mission--the basic contours of doing God's will in their daily lives. But how many people pray that the Lord will set them on fire like a modern-day John the Baptist?

In the readings from Mass for the first two Sundays of Advent, the living Word of God hammers home the theme of awareness and readiness: "Stay awake"; "Be prepared"; "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand"; and "Prepare the way of the Lord." Dare we pray for a new mission-awareness this Advent?  Dare we ask for the grace to share the zeal of John the Baptist?

Jesus said "Among those born of women there has been none greater than John the Baptist"; may the following Baptist-inspired prayer help prompt us along the path of becoming "the least in the kingdom of heaven" (Mt 11:11):




Following the Forerunner

Let me reflect you, Divine Friend,
From mother's womb to destined end.
Your Presence, Lord, provides the balm
To bring my heart true peace and calm.

The Word of God shall be my bread:
Please fill my soul, expel all dread.
Prophetic Psalms of deep desire
Now fuel my heart with holy fire.

River Jordan flows as a sign,
God's stance toward creatures proves benign.
No longer crushed by wounds and pain,
My soul inherits endless gain.

Love divine, "from the beginning,"
  Transforms death from loss to winning.
Fidelity, my one concern:
 The path to Love for which I yearn!